People vs. Brooks Conkright - 2nd degree murder: Case Animation Video
People vs. Brooks Conkright - 2nd degree murder: The jury found the defendant not guilty on murder charges and convicted him on involuntary manslaughter.
Video animation supports the defense contention that the AR 15 Rifle was dropped on a coffee table by my client and "auto-discharged" striking the defendant's mother, exploded her heart and killing her almost immediately upon impact.
The jury was out for less than a day with a not guilty verdict.
The case was also covered in the Napa Valley Register here:
Accused of murder, son found guilty of involuntary manslaughter
MARIA SESTITO, May 11, 2016
Below are some of our other key victories
- Obtained six-figure out-of-court settlement against a major medical provider for wrongful death in pediatric malpractice action.*
(*Matt has employed many famous expert witnesses, including world renowned Coroner Thomas Naguchi. Dr. Naguchi came to Napa to do a cause of death analysis when our client died after a routine and simple surgical procedure. Dr. Naguchi, former Los Angeles Coroner was best known for his cause of death analysis in the cases of Marilyn Monroe, Robert Kennedy, Natalie Wood and John Belushi.)
- Obtained six-figure out-of-court settlement against a multi-national bank for negligent placement of an automatic teller machine in a high crime area in Oakland, California. The case arose when Matt's client was shot and robbed while making an ATM withdrawal.
- After a Red Bluff jury hopelessly deadlocked for a second time, obtained a complete dismissal for a California Highway Patrol Officer charged with possessing a stolen Mac.10 automatic rifle.
- Obtained a "not guilty" verdict for a local bartender who allegedly served a minor a beer in the presence of three undercover Alcoholic Beverage Control Officers.
- Obtained a "not guilty" verdict to felony domestic violence charges for an estranged husband who allegedly dragged his spouse 50 yards while she clung to his SUV. The verdict was obtained despite testimony of two eyewitnesses who concluded the act was intentional.
- Obtained a "not guilty" verdict to felony domestic violence charges for a client who allegedly beat his wife with an axe handle and planned her death. The jury deliberated only 45 minutes before announcing their verdict.
- Obtained a "not guilty" verdict for a client who allegedly was operating a motor vehicle with a .30 blood level when his car hit a child on a bike in a mobile home park. After a 4-day trial, this jury deliberated 15 minutes before reaching a "not guilty" verdict.
- Obtained a six-figure jury verdict for 82-year-old plaintiff in one of Napa County's first financial elder abuse cases. The verdict was against a local realtor and real estate company whom the jury found committed fraud in sale of the plaintiff's family home.
- Immediately after concluding a felony preliminary hearing, obtained court dismissal of all charges for a client who was accused of improperly touching a child under the age of 18.
- Obtained complete dismissal for a client charged with felony vandalism which resulted in tens of thousands of dollar of damages to county-owned property.
- Obtained resolution of felony criminal arson case for a client who was accused of torching her family home. Resolution consisted of three years formal probation, no jail time and 60 hours of community service. Read more.
- Obtained six-figure wrongful death settlement for the adult son of an Alzheimer's patient. Client's father was allowed to wander out of the facility, which resulted in the father's accidental death.
- After only two days of jury trial for fraud and breach of contract, obtained a six-figure out-of-court settlement against a then sitting member of the Napa County Board of Supervisors.
- Obtained six-figure out-of-court settlement for 81-year-old client when a medical care provider's negligence caused an incorrect, noncancerous breast to be removed.
- After a Napa County jury was unable to reach a verdict, obtained a dismissal of all criminal charges against a client charged with threatening/dissuading a witness from testifying.
- Obtained misdemeanor resolution in a criminal case, resulting in no jail time, for a client who allegedly embezzled thousands of dollars while working as an in-home health care provider.
- After a Napa County jury was unable to reach a verdict, obtained misdemeanor "disturbing the peace" resolution for a client who was charged with felony arson of a motor vehicle.
Contact The Law Offices Of Matthew C. Bishop, Inc.
Based in Napa, Matt represents clients across Napa County, Solano County and Northern California. Call 707.258.8090 or contact the firm online to schedule a consultation. Spanish translation services are available.